The National Institute of Culture and History (NICH) comes under the Ministry of Education and Sports. It is governed by a Board of Directors appointed by the Minister of Culture and chaired by the President of NICH who serves as the Chief Executive Officer. As the CEO, the president is responsible for the overall management of NICH while the day to day operations are looked after by an Administrator. Management meetings are held bi-monthly and attended by the the President, the Administrator and the Directors of the four NICH Institutions.
The objectives for which the NICH was established and the principles which guide its work today are designed to:
- Encourage creativity and freedom of expression within the law.
- Foster cross-cultural understanding and mutual respect.
- Ensure that the several districts of Belize are beneficiaries and contributors to cultural policies and programmes.
- Promote effective integration of culture and arts as part of school curriculums.
- Ensure participation of civil society in the making of policies and programmes.
- Ensure the participation of youth.
- Take full advantage of the latest technological advances to ensure that the mass media contributes effectively to cultural development.
- Ensure that cultural promotions stress the values of national and regional community.
- Conduct international relations and exchanges to safeguard and enhance national sovereignty and dignity and.
- Allow free and democratic access to information within the framework of the law.
- Preservation of diverse culture and heritage.